Keys to a successful construction project
Ok. Here are the top items that you need to consider when building or remodeling your home. Regardless of e type of project, the builder, budget, or anything else these are the golden rules for a successful project:
1. Organization. Select a builder that not only builds a great home, but also one that understands the need for systems and processes. Ask lots of questions about project documentation.
2. Make all the decisions up front! Avoid the desire to get your project going as soon as possible,leaving the details to be worked out as the project progresses. A few weeks up front will save time and money. Complete your plans, make your selections, update the budget and schedule, then get going.
3. Document all changes in writing. Enough said.
4. Use a title company to manage progress payments.
5. Select a builder that you trust, and that you get along with. This may be common sense, but the desire to go with the lowest bid sometimes clouds the issue. Building is never free from surprises and issues. Select a builder that you trust you can work with when things don’t go per plan.
6. Build a team up front. Select your builder & architect, then begin design. Having the team in place, working together will insure that the design progresses efficiently and stays on budget.
7. Have fun! Building or remodeling your home should be a fun process. Following these rules should result in you being able to enjoy the process. You’ll know the budget is solid, know the payments are being managed by the title company, know that any changes will be discussed and documented, and know you have a solid schedule & move in date.
July 30, 2010