We’re in the process of designing our next model home to be built in Medina, Minnesota. It’ll be built beside our 2010 Parade Home™ in the Willow Hill development. Last years home was selected as the “Dream Home” by the Builders Association of the Twin Cities.
Designed by Eskuche Creative group, interior design by Stonewood’s staff designers, to be Furnished by Martha O’Hara Interior Design. It’ll be approx. 8500 sq. ft.
Stonewood partners with Martha O’Hara and her team of designers on many of our projects. They are amazingly talented and add the final layer of detail to our homes- furniture, window treatments, accessories…. Check them out: Martha’s web site
Ok. Here are the top items that you need to consider when building or remodeling your home. Regardless of e type of project, the builder, budget, or anything else these are the golden rules for a successful project:
1. Organization. Select a builder that not only builds a great home, but also one that understands the need for systems and processes. Ask lots of questions about project documentation.
2. Make all the decisions up front! Avoid the desire to get your project going as soon as possible,leaving the details to be worked out as the project progresses. A few weeks up front will save time and money. Complete your plans, make your selections, update the budget and schedule, then get going.
3. Document all changes in writing. Enough said.
4. Use a title company to manage progress payments.
5. Select a builder that you trust, and that you get along with. This may be common sense, but the desire to go with the lowest bid sometimes clouds the issue. Building is never free from surprises and issues. Select a builder that you trust you can work with when things don’t go per plan.
6. Build a team up front. Select your builder & architect, then begin design. Having the team in place, working together will insure that the design progresses efficiently and stays on budget.
7. Have fun! Building or remodeling your home should be a fun process. Following these rules should result in you being able to enjoy the process. You’ll know the budget is solid, know the payments are being managed by the title company, know that any changes will be discussed and documented, and know you have a solid schedule & move in date.
18′ ceilings, 3 point line, awesome! Every kid should have one of these in their new home. 75% of the homes we built last year had some recreational space beneath the garage. This is a cost effective way to add 600-1000 sq. ft. to a new home. sportcourt.com
The people of Stonewood have been building and remodeling homes in Minneapolis and the surrounding suburbs for over 40 years. Stonewood has been a custom-home innovator that combines honest craftsmanship, time tested processes and innovative technologies.
We strive to make each stage of the building experience rewarding and enjoyable for our clients by delivering:
Integrity in materials, construction, schedule and detailing.
Character through accountability, cost awareness, enthusiasm and trustworthiness.
Competency in craftsmanship, efficient processes and attentive project management.
Creativity in design, technology and sense of space.
A signature Stonewood home is a story revealed through landscape and personable living spaces. Each project reflects our love of craft applied to home, life and style.